To our Sugar Grove Family,
Over the past few weeks, and especially in the last few days, the Coronavirus has become the focus of our nation’s attention. The concerns regarding Covid-19 are becoming more prevalent and as a church we are responding to do whatever we can to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
We want to respond appropriately and intently. First, as people who believe and follow Jesus, who holds the world and our lives in His hands, we do not want fear to overwhelm us. Jesus specifically told His followers, “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.” John 14:27.
Second, we want to do our part as Sugar Grove community to slow the spread of the coronavirus as set forth by the CDC, President Trump and Governor Holcomb. With these guidelines, here is our response as a church:
The church facility will be closed starting Tuesday, March 17th through the end of March as a gathering space. During this time our Facilities and Grounds crew, led by Tim Hartman, is planning to do a thorough deep clean of our facilities.
In conjunction with the closing of the church facility, our church staff will work from home. Please know the staff will be working hard to serve our church and community. So, stay engaged with us as we reach out and serve during this unprecedented time in our lives.
Last week we had a phenomenal time online as a church gathered. We had nearly 4,000 views and over 2,000 comments/interactions of our 10:30am Facebook Premier worship service. This service was put together in one day by our Worship Arts team! We have a great team with a truly can-do spirit for Jesus!!
We are now working on this week’s online worship service. We will be making some improvements to make it easier for all to participate with us online. Please look for more information in the next day or two.
Since we are now a church scattered and gathered doing our part to help keep our country safe, we are experiencing an understandable drop in giving and ask that you be aware of that fact. Please consider giving generously in one of these ways … the Sugar Grove website (SugarGroveChurch.com/give), the Sugar Grove Mobile App, your bank’s bill pay program, or by check and then mail it to the church. Together we are working hard to reach out and serve during this period of a “new normal.” And we can’t do this without you! Thank you!
RESOURCES TO UNDERSTAND THE CORONAVIRUS
The following are links from the Center for Disease Control to help identify symptoms and good prevention methods for all of us: What to Do if Sick; Steps to Prevent Illness and Common Questions on Covid-19.
COMMON SENSE STEPS TO SLOW THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS
- If you are sick in any way, stay home, don’t go to work and call your health care provider.
- If your children are sick in any way, keep them home, and call your health care provider.
- If someone in your household has tested positive for the coronavirus keep your entire household at home, don’t go out or don’t go to work and call your health care provider.
- If you are an older person, especially in the high-risk category (over 60+), stay home and away from other people.
- If you are a person with an underlying health condition that can put you at increased risk (a condition that impairs your heart, lungs, or weakens your immune system) stay home and away from other people.
- Avoid social gatherings in groups of 10 or more people.
- Practice good hygiene:
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue or the inside of your elbow.
- Follow the guidelines of our state and local authorities.
While most of what we’re recommending concerns the practical, we want you to be equipped to handle this situation spiritually, too. Pastor Tony Tice is leading a Facebook Live Prayer time on Thursday, March 19th @ 7pm. In addition, we’ll post any further updates on our website and through text. If you would like to receive text updates just text UPDATE to 574-203-9026.
We want to encourage you to be cautious and use common sense but also to remember that by the Spirit of God we can be a movement for Jesus during these unprecedented times.
Peace and love;
Sugar Grove Staff, Elders and Deacons