Jim Carrey starred in the movie “Bruce Almighty.” It’s a story about a television reporter from Buffalo who complains about his life. He goes on a rant against God. And in the movie, God (played by Morgan Freeman) comes down in human form to visit Bruce. Yeah, I know it’s not good theology, but stick with me here.
“God” decides to teach Bruce a lesson. He endows all of His God powers to Bruce to see if he can lead the world better. Did I mention, it’s bad theology? The movie is essentially about the mess Bruce makes the world by trying to play God. You’ll have to watch the movie to see how.
And while it’s not a Christian movie, I do believe there’s a great reminder for those of us who are followers of Christ. And the reminder is this: we stink at playing God! While it was funny to watch in the movie, it’s not so funny when we do it in our lives. The consequences can have effects, not only in our lives, but in the lives of those around us.
You know who’s super good at playing God? GOD! Let’s let God be God, and we His humble servants. How we handle our time, decisions and finances are indicators of who’s truly God in our lives. What would it look like for you to give God complete control of all of these things in your life?
- In what ways are you tempted to play God in your life? Why do you think that is?
- What would it look like to let God be Lord of your…
- Pick up either “The Treasure Principle” (Randy Alcorn), “Making Room For Life” (Randy Frazee), or “Financial Peace” (Dave Ramsey) and read it over the next couple of weeks.
- Commit to increasing your financial giving by 2-5% this month.
- Start the week praying over your calendar and ask God to truly be Lord of your time.
- Memorize Proverbs 3:5–6 and/or Psalms 37:4–5